Sunday 3 March 2013

80 Books No.12: Lizzy Harrison Loses Control by Pippa Wright


 

I used to really like chick-lit and read loads of it when I was younger. I’ve read all of Marian Keyes’ books with the exception of her most recent novel, many of Cathy Kelly’s and several of Sophie Kinsella’s. They’re easy reads and generally have a reasonably likeable character and a happy ending (I always feel cheated if it doesn’t).
Then a few dodgy ones put me off and I stopped reading them. It wasn’t really an active ‘I must not read chick-lit’ decision, more that their storylines didn’t really appeal anymore and I preferred other genres. Every so often, though, I’ll come across one which I stick with beyond the initial ‘ditzy girl breaks her heel’ opening chapter.
This book is not going to win any awards or be on a ‘top five books to read this year’ list. Whilst it starts out by making the reader fully away that Lizzy Harrison is not your typical chick-lit heroine, the storyline is pure rom-com and, for anybody who has had even a fleeting fling with a Richard Curtis film, entirely predictable. If you don’t spot who Lizzy is destined to be with upon his first arrival in the novel, you haven’t spent enough time reading Jane Austen. Even so, the characters were some of the more appealing ones I’ve come across recently and it was an easy read, which is always a help when you’re trying to read more than one book a week for a year.
This is a largely uninspiring review, I know, mainly because the best adjective I can come up with for the novel is ‘nice’ which is never really a good thing. Still, it’s better than ‘boring’ or ‘badly written’, both of which could apply to the book I discarded in favour of this (Divine by Mistake by PC Cast). So really this is quite a favourable review.
I’m still waiting for a realistic chick-lit novel about a teacher though.

No comments:

Post a Comment